Tuesday 16 June 2009

EP Review: Cancel The Astronauts - I Am the President of Your Fanclub



Further proof, if any was needed, that I'm a lazy forgetful git. This has been sitting waiting for me to review it for ages and the post has been half written, saved in drafts since mid May, with me only now getting round to finishing and posting it. Apologies to the band who were nice enough to send me a copy and ask for the review in the first place for being crap and slow.

Anyway, leaving my unreliability aside, who are Cancel The Astronauts and what am I reviewing? Well, they are a band and I'm reviewing their (no longer very) recently released debut EP - I Am the President of Your Fanclub (And Last Night I Followed You Home).

The band are a five piece indie-pop outfit, hailing from Edinburgh. If you picked up the recent Limbo Live compilation CD you'll have heard them, their song Slow Dance At The Disco was included on it. It isn't on the EP though. Aside from the title track, astonishingly long title and all, there's four other songs.

The title track is the strongest here, though there's nothing bad about the other tracks. That being said, there's nothing exceptional about them either. That sounds harsher than it's meant to, but it's the best way I can think of to descrive the EP. It's got a solid, tight band, some good songwriting and lyrics and generally well crafted indie-pop tunes, but there's nothing that really smacks you around the head and demands your attention.

A decent first effort though and if the band keep at it they could yet find that killer hook or fantastic set of lyrics that forces you to notice them. Catchy though.

The EP is out now, you can buy a CD from the band at one of the links below, or download it from eMusic
.

Website
MySpace

Try the title track - I Am the President of Your Fanclub (And Last Night I Followed You Home)


No comments:

Post a Comment