Wednesday 21 September 2011

A Gratuitous Plug for People I Like


With the gig guide not really running any more it means I get to ignore some stuff I'm not that interested in, but it also means occasionally I don't properly mention stuff that will be ace. Like this, so it can have a post all of its own instead.

One of my blog buddies The Tidal Wave of Indifference is branching out into putting on gigs, with the first one coming up this weekend. Blogs putting on gigs eh? What a ridiculous idea, that will clearly never catch on.

The first The Tidal Wave of Indifference Presents (a catchy name, might steal that format...) gig takes place on Saturday at The Wee Red Bar in Edinburgh, and looks pretty darn fine. So fine in fact that I've been looking up Google Maps to try and work out if I can make a rare trip through to Edinburgh and get to the gig without getting lost somewhere on The Cowgate.

Headlining affairs are Star Wheel Press, who released their debut album The Life Cycle of a Dying Bird earlier this year to acclaim from the likes of Ian Rankin and Lauren Laverne. If Lauren Laverne likes you then you are generally ok in my book.



French Wives are, of course, on of my favourite bands around. They'll be making a wee escape from the recording studio where they are currently working on their debut album - or possibly playing Grand Theft Auto according to their Twitter feed - for this gig. Hopefully there will be no drunks needing removed from the venue during their set, unlike when I saw them at the 13th Note a few weeks ago.



the douglas firs also released their first album earlier this years, and Happy As a Windless Flag quickly nailed down a position of one of my favourite things I've listened to this year. They are a bit different live than on record, but the best parts of both carry over into each other, and they are well worth catching.



Lost Telegrams are fairly new to my ears. In an odd coincidence I was sitting listening to them on Bandcamp when the announcement came from Stu that they'd be playing at his gig. Their recently released debut EP is pretty swell, and I'm hoping I manage to find my way to the Wee Red to get a good look and listen to them in the flesh.



Tickets are available from Avalanche Records and online for £6, and doors open at 7pm on Saturday, so get down early.


No comments:

Post a Comment