Thursday 17 May 2012

33.1 - Start Big


Things I didn't think of when coming up with this stupid idea #1: title images are going to be a pain. Let's start with beer, almost everything starts with beer.

Entry number one then, what should it be? Something like The Delgados, Arab Strap or Teenage Fanclub would be an easy way to go, but all a bit too obvious. We'll get to them, but not tonight.
No, I think we'll skip straight to one of the big guns to kick things off. If you only know me from reading the blog this one might be a bit of a surprise to you. If you've ever witnessed me in a situation where I'm in control of music, particularly if beer has been consumed (I knew I'd manage to work beer in, go me!) whether by being one of my pals, having seen one of the rare occasions where someone has foolishly gotten me to DJ (I still miss you Pin Up Nights) or just had the misfortune to be one of my Twitter followers, you'll know some songs are just inevitable. This one? This one isn't just inevitable, it's pretty much essential.

Skee-Lo - I Wish

A while back I got into a bit of a hip hop discussion, with the other party being somewhat surprised that I even liked hip hop, and upon being asked to name my favourite hip hop song without thinking about it, I Wish was my first, instant answer. I love a lot of hip hop, and there's a ton of more influential, more important, "better" songs than this one, but ask me to pick a favourite and I will go with Skee-Lo every single time.
Genuinely, without a hint of me trying to be smart or "ironic", one of my favourite songs OF ALL TIME.

Ain't that fresh?





No comments:

Post a Comment